For effective employee management in your organization, managers have to know the organization structure. This is where the need for an organization chart comes in. It is a Hierarchical chart that gives the internal structure of your organization. With the help of this chart, you can know various relationships among departments, teams, and individuals. No matter what the size of your organization is, the organization chart is a vital component to consider. Apart from reporting the employee relationships across the organization, an organization chart provides various other benefits. Here are some vital things you need to know about organization charts.
What is an organization chart?
An organization chart, also known as a hierarchy chart, org chart or Organograms is a graphical representation of the structure of a company or an organization. It shows the relationships hierarchy or reporting relationships within the company. The org chart includes boxes, circles or other shapes and lines to connect them. Boxes and circles represent employee names, titles or designation and lines are there to link them to other departments and employees. Sometimes, other details of employees such as photos, email id, contact details, and page links are also included in the boxes. With the org chart, people can easily understand how any organization is structured, its levels, and where each employee is positioned in the organization. The organization charts have a number of uses and you can structure them in various ways. Org charts may be useful as a management tool for the purpose of planning or for the directory.
Purpose of using an organization chart
Earlier, the use of organization charts in companies was primarily done by HR and leaders. The HR department is responsible for maintaining the chart in companies. It updates it regularly with data of new hires, when there is a change in positions of employees or when they leave the job. So, other business units that need org chart usually know whom to contact. Now, the business leaders make use of organization charts in various instances such as to add or reduce headcount, presentations, and to find where employees have a chance to change their job roles. Using an organization chart is quite helpful to new hires in knowing names, titles and in what position they fit in the overall organization structure. They can even benefit from knowing their co-workers’ names, and professional details and even their photos. The org chart can improve visibility throughout the whole organization.
How does Sumopayroll Organization chart work?
An organization chart or org chart of Sumopayroll outlines the functions and relationships of employees from top to bottom of an organization in a hierarchy structure. The chart shows employees in a hierarchy based on the role of each employee and whom they report. It helps to elucidate the reporting structure for every employee working in the organization. In any company, employees have to know who is their supervisor or to whom they have to report. This is important especially in situations where time constraint is there, and they have to solve a problem or need guidance from their managers. To solve any issues, they needn’t have to wait for meetings or the right time to get assistance from their superiors. Here are a few things you can do with Sumopayroll Org Chart:
- With the Sumopayroll Org Chart feature, you can view the hierarchy of each employee in the organization and find out who is reporting to whom.
- By selecting the employee in the Org Chart, it is possible to assign them or remove them accordingly. If the employees are not assigned reports, then they will report directly to the company. In the Org Chart all the unassigned employees are reported under the company.
- There is an option ‘MANAGE Org Chart’ that allows you to view unassigned employees who do not report to anyone. The admin can select these employees and assign them to the appropriate manager depending on the need. If the employees are not assigned to any user account are assigned to Org chart, then they won’t be receiving the alerts or emails related to time sheets submission, time clocks and leave requests by direct reportees. Super admin has the sole rights to approve all the pending leave requests, time clocks, and time sheets that are submitted before the Org Chart inclusion. The pending requests of employees who are assigned to Org chart initially and later removed from the Org Chart are approved only by the super admin.
- Employees who have pending leave requests, time clocks or time sheets are not eligible to assigned in the Org Chart.
- Employees can check their Org Chart by selecting the ‘My Org Chat menu’.
- It is also possible to print the org chart of an individual employee by searching the employee name or selecting it from the drop-down menu.